GET READY TO TAKE THE RIDE OF YOUR LIFE
One of the greatest things about riding in the Tour de Cure is the opportunity to train and get in shape. Whether you're a new rider getting ready to ride 10 miles for the first time or you've decided to challenge yourself and ride a century, we offer routes and training plans for every type of rider. Online you'll find special training plans designed with you in mind. We've created 12-week plans which will allow you to work up to your designated distance in a reasonable time frame. Plus we guarantee you'll have fun doing it! To view our training plans you must be registered as a rider. Once you are registered, simply login to your Tour Center and click on the Training tab for details.
Here are some basic training tips to get you started:
- When you start to train it's better to train with frequency and not necessarily distance...that is, until you've gotten some miles under your belt.
- If you have diabetes it's always good to bring testing supplies with you so you can check your blood sugar mid-ride.
- Stay hydrated! Always carry at least one, if not two, full water bottles with you when you set out for a training ride.
- Fuel your fire! Just like an engine can't run without gas, your body can't run without fuel so be sure to bring some snacks with you if you're going to be riding longer than ten miles.
- When you get done with a ride top off your tank with a snack that has a good balance of protein and carbohydrates. It will help your muscles recover faster and you'll feel less sore the next day, plus it will help restore some of the calories you burned working out.
- Learn some basic stretches and use them after every training ride. Flexibility is so important and stretching after exercise will lower your risk for injury.
Our Cyclist guide will help you on your journey to the start line of the Tour de Cure. It includes a sample training plan, as well as tips on hydration, stretching and more!
Training rides are offered in many areas of the country; contact your local Tour de Cure Staff to find a ride near you. Training rides are a great way to prepare for the ride and to meet other participants as you train together for the big day!
Registered participants will also receive local training ride information and details by email.
CHRIS CARMICHAEL & Carmichael Training Systems
Chris Carmichael, World Renowned Coach and Trainer, lends his support to the Tour de Cure and the American Diabetes Association. Chris has devoted more than 20 years to helping amateur and professional athletes achieve their performance goals, from improved health to completing your first Century, all the way up to Ironman and Tour de France victories. Now he wants to help our Tour riders and all those living with diabetes, be the best they can be.
Once you register for the Tour de Cure you will receive special training information from Chris Carmichael and CTS. Already registered? Simply login above or go to your TOUR CENTER for more.
TEAM WILD (WE INSPIRE LIFE WITH DIABETES)
Riding with diabetes in the Tour de Cure means you are a Red Rider. We are committed to giving all Red Riders additional training, so we are proud to announce our new partnership with Team Wild.
Once you register for the Tour de Cure all Red Riders will have access to special diabetes training information from the expert coaches of Team Wild, including Nicole Freedman, U.S. Olympic Cyclist, and Marcey Robinson MS, RD, CDE, BC-ADM, Sports Science Certified Diabetes Educator. Already registered? Simply login above or go to your TOUR CENTER for more.