When you are writing your fundraising emails or asking people to join your team, it is important to include facts about why you are supporting the American Diabetes Association and the fight to Stop Diabetes. Help us share the work of the Association and our mission by including the following facts below in your fundraising and recruitment emails, letters and other fundraising activities.
- The American Diabetes Association is on the only nonprofit organization supporting all 25.6 million Americans living with diabetes - including type 1 and type 2 diabetes; children and adults
- In 2008 more than $170 million, or 75% of the Association’s expenses, was invested directly into mission activities including research, information and advocacy
- Diabetes is a disease that has serious and even deadly consequences and there is no cure
- 1 in 3 children born in the year 2000 will develop diabetes in their lifetime if current trends continue. The ratio is even great for minority children with 1 in 2 developing diabetes in their lifetime
- In 2007, the total estimated cost of diabetes in the United States was $174 billion
- Since its inception, the Association has invested more than $450 million in research and provided funding for more than 4,000 research projects
- The Association continues to be the largest provider of Diabetes Camps as well as weekend retreats and one-day events that benefit more than 10,000 children of all ages each year